/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, March 3

The End of The Road


ABC's "The Lexicon Of Love" album is one of the high watermarks of 1980s pop, released in 1982 it's shiny surfaces and theatrical romanticism pretty much set the template for the flashy, hedonistic, post-modern decade to come. Which makes it a little ironic that the day I bought it I found myself in a place haunted by the once-glamourous ghosts from another pop era and as a result it's always linked in my mind with rather more dismal surroundings than the grand, velvet-draped ballroom you imagine ABC playing it in.

I bought the album one Saturday afternoon when I was down the King's Road in Chelsea with some mates and when we stepped out of the Our Price record shop with our purchases it started to piss down with rain — real monsoon-like buckets of it — so we ran to take shelter in the nearest boozer, which happened to be The Chelsea Drugstore.


This was the first and only time I'd been in there and had no idea then about it's legendary past, to me it was just this dingy place I'd walked past a million times that never looked very inviting. But when it opened in 1968 The Chelsea Drugstore was one of the epicenters of Swinging London counterculture and hangout for the beautiful people, with three glitzy floors containing a bar, restaurants, clothes and record shops and a late-night chemist. They even had a delivery service made up of young girls on motorcycles wearing purple catsuits — it doesn't get much more groovy than that. It's most famously mentioned in The Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as the place where Mick Jagger went to get Marianne Faithful's "prescription filled" when they lived together on nearby Cheyne Walk and she had a heroin habit. It's also where the record shop scene in A Clockwork Orange was filmed.


But the youth culture parade is always moving on and the place must have already seemed like a relic from another era in 1976 when Punk and the Sex Pistols emerged from Malcolm McLaren's shop "Sex" down the other end of the King's Road, and far as I know The Drugstore's last fling with pop history was in 1980 when it was an early hub of the new futurist/electronic music scene with it's Monday night "Sci-Fi Disco" run by a young DJ by the name of Stevo who later founded Some Bizzare records and discovered Soft Cell, The The, and Depeche Mode. By the time I ran in there soaking wet in 1982 it really looked like the party had gone somewhere else, the place was almost empty and with it's dingy lighting, dusty black walls, tatty black carpet and cheap chrome trimmings the vibe I got was more of a working man's club for ageing Motorhead roadies. The rather shabby atmosphere was compounded by the appearance of a stripper on the little stage, a young girl who had that pasty-skinned, bored Reader's Wives look common to nearly every stripper I've seen in a grubby English pub. It was all a bit sad and felt more suited to a seedy Pulp song than the glamour of Swinging London.

Looking back now, it might have turned into a shabby dive but at least it had some character which the King's Road is sadly lacking these days as it's become just another bland British high street with no trace of the vibrant counterculture and underground scenes it once spawned. When I walk down there now all I see are the ghosts of what used to be there: The Great Gear Market, Shelley's, Fiorucci, Robot, Flip, American Classics, Acme Attractions, Johnson's — they've all gone, replaced by mobile phone sellers, supermarkets and dry cleaners, not exactly the sort of places you can imagine a youth explosion starting from. The Chelsea Drugstore is long gone too, and in a perfect illustration of how far the King's Road has fallen, on the site of what was once the hippest, most-happening scene in London there now stands a McDonald's. There's a giant metaphor for all of modern pop culture right there too.

I don't think anyone needs me to post any tracks from "The Lexicon of Love" so how about all the b-sides of their first three 12" singles instead?

Download: Alphabet Soup - ABC (mp3)
Download: Theme From "Mantrap" - ABC (mp3)
Download: Mantrap (The Lounge Sequence) - ABC (mp3)
Download: The Look of Love (Part 3) - ABC (mp3)
Download: The Look of Love (Part 4) - ABC (mp3)
Read: "King's Road: The Rise and Fall of the Hippest Street in the World" (book)

17 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Simon said...

Lovely stuff!

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight. Love it.

Brian in Canada

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

Like a personal tour guide Lee. Thanks for the journey.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Mondo said...

I was there on Sunday and know exactly what you mean...

The good news is Vivienne Westwood's still standing firm at 430 (she's been there since '72) and Picasso's near flood street has been there since the 50s without being Starbucked (made a point of eating there too - delish)

Other places that have been crushed with the corporate steamroller are...

The Pheasantry - where Clapton lived in his Cream period along with Germaine Greer and Clive James is now a Pizza Express.

Mary Quant's first boutique is now a West Cornwall Pasty shop..

The site of Granny Takes A Trip shop was until recently a kebab shop

The Great Gear Market is now Marks and Spencer

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger londonlee said...

I used to have breakfast a lot in Picasso's in the 1980s with a guy I designed t-shirts for when I was a student. He was a right old Chelsea wide boy — big Jag, always paid me in cash.

Must admit I do like that Pasty place. Shame about the Gear Market though, I bought a lot of clothes in there.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger whiteray said...

Nice piece, Lee. I always wondered where that scene in "A Clockwork Orange" was filmed. As to Jagger and the prescription, folklore here in Minnesota says that he may used the name of the store in Chelsea but that he was drawing on an incident that happened in here. I wrote about it a while back:
http://echoesinthewind.blogspot.com/2007/10/saturday-single-no-35.html

But that's just our story here. Oh, and nice tunes, too!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

I read about that story when I was researching this post but I can't imagine Jagger would be talking about some obscure event he'd probably forgotten about in a song he wrote four years later. I also read that the "Jimmy" in the song is Jimi Hendrix.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Chris Gibbon said...

I believe that the lyric refers to " Mr Jitters ", rumoured to be Jimmy Miller, who was producing the Stones at the time ( they'd finally realised that Andrew Loog Oldham was lots of things but not a very good record producer).
And I remember the Drug Store from the late sixties/early seventies. My recollection is that it was one of those typically British places- relatively well designed but built for as little as the developer could get away with. It started falling apart the day it opened. It was expensive and sort of tinselly. Biba in Kensington High St was very similar.
I had a stall in Antiquarius ( next to Picasso) and we sold antique clothing - some of our clients were show biz- the Pointer Sisters and people of that ilk, Rod Stewart would come in, try stuff on, complain about the cost and then send his chaufeur in to see if he could get it for less. We were very democratic, everybody paid the same.
Chris

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger mutikonka said...

I made a pilgrimage to the Kings Rd in 1980, to see the Anthony Price shop and hoping that I would run into Bryan Ferry being measured up for his suits. But by then it had already become the place where would-be punks would act up for the tourists. Looks like Martin Fry was yet another provincial lad inspired by Ferry's look, hby the look of the photo session for Lexicon of Love.

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great stuff..living in Nottm me and my brother got took down London often ususally to see the trooping of the colour.We always walked the Kings Rd though I remember seeing rod stewart in a flash motor and I bought my first suit here from a Jew who was going back to fight in the six day war,everything must be sold...went back years later on my own and bought a pair of red leather slip ons from johnsons...where are they now?

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger whiteray said...

Lee: I don't know that I believe the tale, either. (And I always heard Jagger sing "Mr. Jitters" and thought I was the only one who heard it that way.) Just thought I'd mention it . . .

 
At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there...!
Is it possible to re-post 'Mantrap (The Lounge Sequence)'?
I have a very "scratched" 45rpm 12'' with 'Poison Arrow' on side A and 'Theme From Mantrap' and 'Mantrap (The Lounge Sequence)' on side B.
I recently bought a re-release of 'Lexicon of Love' that has 'Theme From Mantrap' as a bonus track, so I'm only missing 'Mantrap (The Lounge Sequence)' on "digital" format.

Cheers from Portugal!

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous George. said...

I too would like to request a re-post of Mantrap (The Lounge Sequence). It's the only track from those you posted that hasn't appeared on CD. Thanks!

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Alan said...

I third that: plkease, repost
MANTRAP (THE LOUNGE SEQUENCE).

Alan, ABC fan from Birmingham.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger londonlee said...

OK, you twisted my arm. I don't usually do requests but seeing as three of you asked, the file is up again.

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous George said...

Many thanks for re-posting the Lounge Sequence!

George.

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Roads said...

Great site, Lee, which I found via Carambar.

And yes, The Lexicon of Love -- what a great album!

All of my Heart has been a lifelong favourite, for a whole host of different reasons, and I've written about it here:
A soundtrack to The Price of Love - 21.

It's a long story, and this was how it all started, back in 1982: The Lexicon of Love.

Art college, music, nostalgia -- just wondering whether you've read Heaven knows I'm miserable now by Andrew Collins? The second part of the BBC presenter's memoirs about growing up in the 70s and 80s, it follows the hugely successful Where did it all go right? Looks to me like you'd really love them both.

Best regards to Florida, from London.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home