/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, January 20

Remembrance of taunts past


You wouldn't think a record as inane and fluffy as "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" would have painful associations for anyone, but I do. When I was young some kids at my school used to taunt me about my one-parent status by singing "Where's your papa gone? Where's your papa gone? Far, far away" at me, and even over 35 years later I can't hear it without having flashbacks to that and feeling a little twinge of how upset it made me at the time. The little bastards.

Still, the sight of lead singer Sally Carr in her trademark hot pants helps to ease the pain somewhat.

Download: Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep - Middle of the Road (mp3)

8 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Is that what she looked like? Wow.

My mum and dad split up a couple of years after this came out. While I never had it sang to me by other kids it does make me think of that time...

But still. Is that what she looked like?

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Mondo said...

Hey Ho! Crochet drawers - fire hazard or no - when are they making a comeback?

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger londonlee said...

She looks even better when she's moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfkBwFyXgs

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Darcy said...

Ooo I used to love Middle Of The Road (yes I still have some of their singles). I had forgotten what a looker Sally was.

I'll have you know I turned on the computer tonight with the intention of doing a new post, but I have just spent the last hour watching Middle Of The Road on youtube and catching up on their career!

I think Soley Soley is my favourite, but had forgotten how good Samson & Delilah was too. Good clean fun. They don't make them like this anymore.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger So It Goes said...

Bloody hell,time for a lie down (and I've just got up).

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger themusicologist said...

I remember it, (couldn't escape it back then !!), but for me the association is/was a football terrace one. what year was it released in?

p.s quality page you have here.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger ally. said...

the stinking little rotters. i'll get my big brother on them
x

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

Me and my mum went into town and made our own record in a little booth (just like a photo booth). You recorded anything you wanted by singing into the machine and the 7" vinyle would appear in the slot a few minutes later to take home and play.

We sang the biggie of the day. (Perfect now, looking back). ... Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep.

I wish I still had that record.

Does anyone else still remember those while u wait record machines??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home