/*Blog Header*/

Wednesday, January 14

I wish I was a Wild West hero


This might be a typically-pessimistic assumption on my part but do kids still play Cowboys and Indians these days? I find it hard to believe that they do. Why would they? The Western is nearly dead as a genre in popular culture, at least it is in any form that could be watched by children. To a 21st century kid with his video games and superheroes, Cowboys and Indians must be like playing Cavaliers and Roundheads.

I also imagine that any kid who shouted "Bang! You're dead!" at a friend in the school playground would immediately be carted off by social services for counseling.

So that means people will one day stop writing songs like this. One of the best singles of the 1970s, presented here in its album-length, widescreen Cinemascope version.

Download: Silver Star - The Four Seasons (mp3)

6 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank God! The only version of this I'd been able to find before now had a stupid, irritating electronic drum track added to it. This is just glorious!

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger mutikonka said...

My kids act out their World of Warcraft roles. Or SWAT Team vs Terrorists. I wish I was a War On Terror Hero?

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are still plenty of little cowboys in my house. Not so many Indians though. I think Woody out of Toy Story has kept it going for another generation.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger londonlee said...

I was thinking about the movie when I wrote that post. The first one is sort of about old cowboy toys being replaced by futuristic space ones (Buzz Lightyear)

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Senor,
As a History teacher I'd love a copy of the Enemy Within Strike tune you posted previously........... a cheeky request I know!!

 
At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I teach media and film to secondary school kids, and my boss has finally given up trying to teach the western, however much he loves it, because they're just not interested, the buggers, although oddly enough they get on pretty well with Yojimbo when we start doing Japanese cinema. That might be because it's not Tokyo Story, mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home