/*Blog Header*/

Monday, January 5

More home thoughts from abroad


This chap is a British Army spokesman who was on the BBC talking about the troops spending Christmas in Iraq and I took his picture because his name was Lt. Col. Dickie Winchester. I didn't think British officers had such marvelous names as that anymore, at least not ones so young who didn't also have massive, Jimmy Edwards-style whiskers. With a name like that he should be leading men over the top at the Somme, not dull PR duties in Basra.

The other thing I noticed about Dickie was that, despite his old-school-tie name, he didn't sound in the slightest bit "posh" and instead spoke with a rather generic middle-class English accent that could be from anywhere south of Birmingham. There was a time when someone with his name and rank would have been all "Bally good show chaps!" and plummy, aristocratic vowels but, apart from the odd appearance by the Royal Family, these days you don't hear frightfully proper "BBC English" much anymore — especially not on the BBC itself. Apparently talking "proper" and sounding upper-class is out of fashion these days, something to be embarrassed about even among the upper classes themselves whose children are dropping their 'aitches and adopting the more common sound of so-called Estuary English in an effort to fit in with the new English egalitarian meritocracy — a country run by celebrities and footballers instead of the old Eton-Oxbridge network. Which of course it isn't, you know those buggers are still in charge.

The only time I heard an old-fashioned upper class accent in London was when I was having lunch at one of the traditional stomping grounds of British nobs, the Peter Jones department store in Sloane Square. Among the crowds of modern young couples pushing their progeny around in Bugaboo pushchairs I'd catch the occasional sound of some haughty, crisp old-money voice and it was such a surprise to the ears I'd stare at the person as if I was looking at some rare bird on the endangered species list.

I'm not turning into Evelyn Waugh in my old age and mourning the decline of the ruling class (plus, I talk common as muck meself), but what is a shame is the continuing loss of colour and character to the national palette and, I must admit, hearing someone crisply crossing their Ts and talking in those clear, cut-glass tones does sound rather pleasing to the ear (especially coming from the mouth of a Jenny Agutter or Joanna Lumley), and what a dull place England would be if we all ended up talking like David Beckham. Knowarrimean?

Download: The Ruling Class - Monochrome Set (mp3)

8 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Neal said...

You've obviously never come across Air Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup then. Makes me giggle every time I see him on the telly.

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The upper classes mostly live in North Cornwall now, where they enjoy their traditional pursuits - hunting, shooting, fishing and patronising...

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

I met a thousand galloping Majors during my 20 odd years in a beret!
Lots of: Rodneys, Ruperts and Tristrans. Dozens of Dusty Millers, Chalky Whites & Tug Wilsons. The odd Fanny Craddock, Errol Flynn and Sam Salt.

A life without cutting banter is a life without beer.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger whiteray said...

Interestingly, as I grew up in the 60s, I think the first British accents I heard on a regular basis were the Liverpudlian sounds of the Beatles when they were interviewed and so on. I won't say all English folk sound the same to American ears. I mean, I can hear differences among various Englanders when they talk, but beyond the obvious - the fascinating glottal stop is a giveaway, I think - we can't always place the speaker in his or her class by the way he or she talks. At least I can't.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Darcy said...

Sir Jock Stirrup's name always makes me giggle too when he appears on the TV.

Whiteray referred to the Liverpool accent. Is it me or is the Scouse accent getting uglier by the year? Back in the 60s & 70s the Beatles and the Liver Birds and the Anfield boys sounded OK to me. Now we have the likes of Jamie Carragher, and now the truly hideous Tina Malone on Celeb Big Brother.

The BBC is now a minefield of local accents. Sometimes I have to retreat to Late Junction on Radio 3 and be soothed by Fiona Talkington and Verity Sharp.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

Indeed Darcy, it seems mandatory these days to have a strong local accent and work in front of the camera. "Aren't we provincial" seems to be screamed from the BBC Cente. I trust that they aren't overlooking that old fashioned tenet of recruiting 'The best person for the job'? Heaven forbid.

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a small world - he was the assistant adjutant of the first Regt I was in back in the early 80's

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An absolutely top chap - not sure about the accent issue, I thought he spoke rather well. It's good to see a Lieutenant Colonel called 'Dickie' and that he hasn't gone all serious and adopted 'Richard', particularly in front of the camera. Wasn't his Regiment famous for having a Major Naesmith of Posso (the Younger)??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home