/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, November 4

Do The Right Thing


Not wanting to invite a barrage of nasty comments from the right wing loons in this country I was going to stay away from the election this year but I came to the conclusion that I just can't ignore history when it's happening around me. Or I hope it is if America does the right thing today and makes Barack Obama it's first black President. So be a part of history, go and vote if you're able.

Because of my love of soul music I became interested in the history of the Civil Rights movement in America and actually wrote my college thesis about the links between the two so I know a little bit about how much African-Americans have had to struggle to get to this point, so if he wins tonight I'll be crying tears of joy and thinking of all the people who fought (and died) to make it possible.

The obvious musical choice today would have been "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke but I felt like something a bit more upbeat.

Download: Young, Gifted and Black - Bob & Marcia (mp3)

But really, his skin colour is almost beside the point, he's simply the best man for the job. And how great would it be to have a President who digs John Coltrane?

6 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Artist "GIST" used this sample for his track with same name.. Check it out..

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger ally. said...

that's where it's at
x

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Dane said...

I've done what I can ... now I'm just waiting for the returns.

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many Rivers to Cross Jimmy Cliff

Got there though-!!

 
At 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful World, Beautiful People Jimmy Cliff

just one more-!

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Mavis Staples link - I'm forwarding it all over the place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home