/*Blog Header*/

Thursday, August 28

I Gotta Have Some of Your Attention


One of the proudest moments of my teenage years was in 1979 when I had a letter published in Smash Hits (I also had a letter in Iron Man comic a few years before but that just isn't as cool). I wrote to them in response to a letter they'd printed from some idiot attacking Chrissie Hynde with the bizarre claim that she was nothing but a Debbie Harry copycat. Now I was a big Pretenders fan and I wasn't going to let such stupid bollocks pass so I took pen to paper and stated in no uncertain terms that the only thing the two had in common was that they were both American women who were in a band and bitchily added that at least Chrissie could play guitar and write her own songs and didn't have to rely on a pretty face and wear short skirts to sell records. I signed the letter "A Tattooed Love Boy, London" and was amazed that they actually published it, the first letter on the page too!

Sadly I don't have a copy of that issue anymore, though if I read it today I'd probably be embarrassed by my teenage prose style and cringe at how annoyingly opinionated I was — but aren't we all at that age, especially when it comes to music? Like most 17-year-olds I was ready to start a fight with anyone who didn't think the new Jam single wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, and this was particularly true in the late 70s when a 45rpm record could (and did) start a revolution in our young lives. This was life and death stuff. Which might explain why, of all the burning issues of the day that got me worked up, the one time I was moved to write a Mr. Angry letter to the editor was over two pop singers while my tirades against the far greater evils of Maggie Thatcher, unemployment, and the National Front were confined to the Sixth Form Common Room and sitting on the sofa yelling at the television.

I'm sure in the great Chrissie vs. Debbie debate most boys would come down in favour of Debbie (at least as eye candy) but regular readers of this blog know that my vote always goes to the brunette. It wasn't just the Sandie Shaw hairdo and pouty lips, but she also had that voice which one minute could sound like she was tenderly stroking your hair and the next like she was angrily stubbing a cigarette out on your hand and throwing all your clothes out into the street.

Big fan though I was I must have been one of the few who was disappointed in The Pretenders' debut album. I'd bought their first three singles and eagerly awaited the album but when it appeared I was pissed off to find that not only did it contain all the singles I had already bought, but most of the b-sides too. Bands just weren't supposed to do things like that back then — I was almost moved to write an angry letter to Smash Hits about it.

Download: The Wait - The Pretenders (mp3)
Download: What You Gonna Do About It - The Pretenders (mp3)

"The Wait" is from the b-side of "Stop Your Sobbing", they re-recorded it for the album but I think this version is much better. Their cover of The Small Faces' "What You Gonna Do About It" is from a flexidisc that came free with Flexipop magazine, it's available on this box set now but that probably doesn't have all the lovely crackles you get from recording something off of flimsy orange plastic.

8 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Aya Amurjuev said...

i LOVE a man who appreciates brunettes over blondes! i wish there were more of you guys out there!

i agree. i don't think chrissy and debbie are all that similar to warrant such close comparison. and yes, chrissy is cooler. awesome post! :)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Smash Hits, Flexipop. Just reading those names reminds me of going to the newsagents and handing over my money. If I remember rightly Smash Hits used to hit our shop on a Friday morning. I didn't miss an issue between 1980 and 1984. I think the first Flexipop I bought had Motorhead and Girlschool in it.

Ah memories...

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

What an enjoyable post. I remember many times NOT getting a letter published in Star Hits, the U.S. version in the 80s, and being miserable about it. Love your description of Chrissie, too.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger davyh said...

I would almost certainly have read your letter back then and cruelly until last year or so might even have been able to furnish you with a copy of the Smash Hits in question - they got binned only recently : (

I was always fond of 'Talk Of The Town'...

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

Damn, in the back of my mind I was thinking someone out there might actually have the issue in question. I think it was from around when 'Brass In Pocket' was in the charts, late '79.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger davyh said...

I'd have had it! Bugger. Try Ally, she hoards loads of stuff!!!

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

Chrissie and Debbie i would ne'er have compared. Although both American, they're as far apart as chalkhills and cheeseshops.

Both were crucial however in our more, ahem, formative years. Wouldn't like to meet either in a dark alley. Suspect we'd have been brushed aside like breakfast crumbs in their prescence .. dear.

Always had the odd problem with lyric discernement with the pouty leather trousered one. Anyone else have that mis-heard lyric thing?

Agree with Talk Of The Town and also the single 'Kid'. Did well to carry on successfully after the premature passing of half the band.

Chrissie was certainly blessed with a fair share of genius - although like all of us - suffered the odd blip in life's decision making.

What's she up to these days I wonder?

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn you, i love you. xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home