/*Blog Header*/

Wednesday, July 9

My Sister's Records


I'm just about old enough to remember a time when The Beatles were still together and making records but while they might have been bigger than Jesus back then they weren't a major presence in our house when I was growing up. The only record of theirs my Mum had was a 45 of "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" which I don't remember her ever playing (though years later I would discover the lovely "This Boy" on the b-side and play it to death) and to be honest I preferred it that way, I'm glad I grew up thinking Sinatra was God and not John Lennon.

The only other Fab Four-related record in the house was this Wings single my sister bought in 1977 and I would like to congratulate her on her good taste, if she had to buy only one I'm glad it was this. When the day comes that Sir Paul is up in heaven with Lennon and the two of them are sitting on a cloud arguing about who wrote the best post-Beatles song this one should be top of Paul's list, especially this live version. One listen to this and John would concede defeat.

Download: Maybe I'm Amazed - Wings (mp3)
Buy: "Wings Over America" (album)

5 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't help but agree - I seem to remember Rod Stewart & the Faces covering this - B-side of Maggie May?

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger ally. said...

oh how fabulous a beatles free lattie - what a relief
x

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger davyh said...

It's fab song this isn't it? He was just bursting with great stuff at about that time. I also love 'Back Seat Of My Car' until he spoils it by going all noodly at the end. Wings Over America seemed to be everywhere in the mid 70s...

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger whiteray said...

It's a good'un, no doubt, and one of my faves. But John might get himself a draw with "#9 Dream."

 
At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep excellent, shades of the earlier cover by the Faces showing through from their 'long player' LP which I always thought left the orginal studio version for dead... seems like Macca agreed and did live version along those lines. Wings produced some great albums which tend to get ignored, Band on the Run is a prefect album and Venus and Mars is top rate too. Although I'm a more of a Lennon fan I would admit as albums these two beat the overall structure of Johns solo albums.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home