/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, May 20

Kiss it better


Haven't had a cute picture of a kid in a while. Bless.

Download: Boys Cry - The Distractions (mp3)

I loved this single, The Distractions were one of the many Post-Punk/New Wave bands that came and went in the blink of an eye and ended up half-forgotten and gathering dust in the old singles box despite making some cracking records. They put out a few 45s on Factory before signing to Island who I seem to remember were touting them as the "next big thing" for a while. "Boys Cry" came out in 1980 and flopped as did their only album, the terrific "Nobody's Perfect" which has never been reissued.

6 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Blogger Simon said...

That's a great track. I've never heard of them before. It wasn't what I was expecting; that whole Phil Spector meets Buddy Holly thing going on. Actually it sounded a bit Springsteen. Sounds like they should have been on Stiff and sent out on tour with Costello.

I find myself getting a little sad for all the bands that never made it sometimes. How many great songs are out there in the ether that nobody's ever heard?


Sorry...that was a little deep!

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Simon said...

I did a quick google and found this:

http://digivinyltal.blogspot.com/2007/06/distractions-1980-nobodys-perfect-lp.html

I'll be giving it a listen later on!

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

Is that a young John Terry in the picture?

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

time goes by so slow I still have somewhere (Ithink)

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger granata said...

More info on The Distractions on the new offical site:

www.thedistractions.co.uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home