/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, April 29

Wild In The Streets


I never had a bike when I was a kid, I always assumed it was because my mother couldn't afford to buy me one (get your violins out) but I asked her about it recently and she told me it was because she was worried about my safety and didn't want me racing around the London streets on one. Nice to know she cared, though I don't know what she thought I was doing in the summer holidays when she was out at work but I certainly wasn't safely at home playing Ker-Plunk.

I actually didn't need a bike of my own to risk life and limb on the road when I had plenty of mates who did and were only too willing to give me lift on theirs, either perched on the handlebars or the back seat. My mum would have had kittens if she'd seen me squeezed onto the back of my cousin Martin's Chopper bike, facing backwards and legs akimbo, while he peddled wobbly along major traffic death traps like Hammersmith Broadway and Fulham Palace Road, narrowly avoiding cars and buses left and right. Needless to say we didn't wear helmets or any kind of safety gear (had that stuff even been invented in the 1970s, and if it had would we have worn it?) but when you're a kid you think you're indestructible and just bounce from one scrape to another without a second thought with your elbows and knees permanently covered in grazes and scabs.


London was literally our playground back then and we'd go all over the city on our own, all we needed were some bikes or a 25p all-day Red Rover ticket for the bus. The idea of a gang of grubby little boys tearing around London all sounds a bit "Lord Of The Flies" compared to how children are raised these days when "responsible" parents aren't supposed to let their children out without an armour of protective padding and a grown-up to hold their hand (if they go anywhere at all that is) as the news would have you believe there's a bogeyman lurking around every corner and behind every hedge. Obviously my mum did care about our safety (or she would have bought me a bike!) but there was a level of trust that seems to have gone now, not just trust in us, but trust in the outside world not to do anything to us. Not that I didn't get into trouble, there was a fair bit of window-smashing and shoplifting mixed in with all our innocent tearaway fun, but nothing really serious — I never stabbed anyone for their mobile phone — and what's childhood without scabby knees and the occasional talking to from a Copper?

I do have a bike now, my wife bought me one a few years ago (one of the best presents I've ever got) and when I take it out now I'm too chicken to ride on busy roads and get nervous when a car goes by me, but I still don't wear a helmet and when I go fast on it I get the same sense of happy freedom I had when I was a scruffy young tyke bombing around London on the back of my cousin's bike. Only now I've finally got my own.

Download: Bike - Pink Floyd (mp3)
Download: My White Bicycle - Tomorrow (mp3)

11 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Simon said...

I was talking about this with my wife the other day. She grew up in the country, a far cry from the centre of London. I grew up in walking distance of Soho, Camden, the Thames. We used to go out at 9 in the morning and come home when it was dark. Sometimes after we'd gone home and had our tea we'd meet up again and hang around until 11 or even midnight during holidays.

I had a bike for a short time, a little Tomahawk. It was a secondhand bike, and looking back I don't think I had it for very long. I'm not sure, but I think my mum might have given it away to somebody else. She was a worrier and me riding around on the streets scared her for sure.

But God, the things we used to do. This was the late 70s there were still bombsites around. Perfect places to explore. And by us, there were some Victorian tenement buildings still standing. Still lived in actually, with no bathrooms or hot water. They knocked them down about 1978/79. We used to climb into the site through a gap in the corrugated iron. If our parents had known what we were up to they would have died on the spot.

At the moment I'm living a few miles up the road from where I used to live. And locally are where a lot of the teenage shootings and stabbings have been going on. Mix that with the whole Maddie thing and there are no young people on the streets around here. It's really weird. About two years ago there were a whole crowd of them between about 8 and 12 years old causing havoc. Not a sight of them now.....

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger londonlee said...

One summer we set up "camp" in this dingy old abandoned house on the Talgarth Road - or we thought it was abandoned until this old bloke showed up one day and called the police on us.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Simon said...

"camp"...that one word just takes me right back. It smells of orange squash and blackjacks. And that dirty suntanned and tired feeling when your mum wants you to have a proper wash before you go to bed, but you just want to sink into the pillow right there and then...

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

Lots of fab 'jumpers for goalposts' going on here boys.

I always thought 'My White Bicycle' was an original for Nazareth til I learnt about Keith West (of Teenage Opera 'Grocer Jack' fame - which went on to inspire 'Tommy') and his psychedelic Tomorrow people. Steve Howe, of course went on to fame n fortune with his twiddle whirling dervishly for Yes. Drummer Twink also moved from a flower power tower to The Pretty Things.

Unlike stolen Choppers, White Bicycles were the communal ones utilised in Amsterdam in the 60s for all to use as required. You just rode where you wanted and left it for the next person to use.
Do you think this concept could be employed in today's clogged-up London? Perhaps the Mayor could consider it on Friday after the elections.

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Didn't they stop it because people from the UK went over and just took them to sell on in the UK? Or is that just some kind of urban myth that I picked up somewhere?

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog because of the ELO "Tightrope" entry.

Also a long ago ex-pat (emigrated to US at 12 yo - but have fond memories of boarding school years in Eltham College, Mottingham) - not too much younger than you (currently 43).

At ANY rate - the comment is to tell you to do what your mom would want to tell you - even in your mid-40's - and WEAR a helmet. Especially if you have kids ....

I ride my bike quite a bit - and have taken one or two spills - and have been close to several more accidents (mostly drivers not paying attention). I haven't needed my helmet yet, but I'm guessing I will before my riding's up.

Ride safe.

geo

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And - thanks for the walk down down the misty recesses. Just finished you-tubin' Fox's "S-s-s-ingle Bed" ... There's a 30+ year-old memory. That wasn't ever a State-side hit, was it?

I wish I had some of my old "Top-of-the-Pops" type compilations. Can't remember the record label, but the album series were the current pop hits covered by a studio band (unlike the K-Tel stuff over here). The cover always featured some buxom Carol Cleveland-ish bird in leopard-print, or some such.

geo

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , perhaps curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://cipemyzi.virtue.nu/asyqygu.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a proper companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://benuhusyw.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/ogerax.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

 
At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Acerockolla said...

Well ignoring the fact nobody will read a reply to a two year old post and scroll past the junk mail but here goes.

I was lucky enough to live in the english countryside and my parents did buy me a bike in fact a Chopper, but not just any old Chopper, no this was a very rare 5 speed one in a bright purply pink colour, I fell off it many a time the worst was when loaded up with fishing gear and riding down a nice country hill and I hit cowshit on the road (yep the real country side) I then went ass over tit and slide down the road luckily greased up by said shit which meant I at least kept all my skin.
The bike was pretty buggered as i had bent the derailer and it kept killing gears, If i was not so thick or my dad not so disinterested I would have just bough a new derailer, instead the bike just sat in the shed until eventually my dad through it away, I dread to think what a 5 speed chopper would be worth nowadays!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

I do read these, they get emailed to me.

I had a pretty spectacular bike crash myself once (also in the countryside near my aunt's house in Derby) when I was speeding down a hill with my legs stretched out front and my flares got caught in the front wheel and I went flying over the handlebars. Dangerous things, those trousers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home