/*Blog Header*/

Monday, April 14

The Glow of Love


When this record was a hit in the summer of 1983 I was deeply in love with my first serious girlfriend and it's the perfect song for the blissful glow of first love, just the thing for putting on a mixtape for that special lady. So now you'd expect me to say that when I hear this the whole thing comes back to me in a Proustian rush of warm nostalgia, its summery innocence and tender heart invoking sweet memories of holding hands in the park, that hesitant first kiss, walking her home in the evenings, and those never-ending telephone conversations.

But the truth is the record that really reminds me of her is the first Orange Juice album but this is such a gorgeous, gorgeous track I almost want it to be the one that brings it all back, because if you weren't in love in the summer of 1983 this would have made you want to be.

Download: The First Picture of You (extended version) - The Lotus Eaters (mp3)

As an added bonus, here's the rather lovely video too:

11 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first. thanks for the blog. second its a great song and it too reminds me of my youth gone by

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger Simon said...

Great song. I was 14 that summer and suffering from my first teenage unrequited love. Not necessarily the best state to be in where a song like this is concerned!

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Nice one. Could you give me any advice on posting mp3s to my blog?

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

The main thing you need is a web hosting service who give you enough storage space to hold the mp3 files and enough bandwidth to allow people to download them. Mine does me fine but others using separate file storage/downloading services, the names of which escape right now but there are lots of them.

Then all you need to do is put a link to the file on your site and Bob's your uncle. Simple really.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Cheers, thanks for that

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Simon said...

From one Simon to another, try Mediafire; it's free, and they give you the link to cut and paste on your site once you've uploaded a file.

 
At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI - There's also some good advice on starting an audioblog from Oliver Wang over at Soul-Sides.com here:

http://soul-sides.com/2004/07/so-you-want-to-start-audioblog.html

Great track, by the way, didn't know it before, thanks

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Simon said...

Thankyou both for the info

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger I Am Not The Beatles said...

It's just a brilliant brilliant song. They must have known that when they wrote it mustn't they ?

Imagining stepping back from a song you've been working on... and hearing that.

Lovely.

All the best,

Ian TB

http://www.iamnotthebeatles.com

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger davyh said...

Splendid. I have only a very crackly 7" of this, so your lovely version's a treat. I fell in love in the summer of '82 with a girl that worked in the cafe and came home smelling of teacakes and it was all 'Come On Eileen' and 'Let's Make This Precious' which were pretty bloody marvellous too.

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Imposs1904 said...

Beautiful, beautiful song.

Don't know enough about the Lotus Eaters to know if they were one of those one hit wonders that got away, or they just lucked out with one brilliant song. (One more than 98% of musicians.)

Saying that, I wouldn't kick their song, 'It Hurts', out of my iPod playlist in the morning. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home