/*Blog Header*/

Thursday, March 6

Bloody Students


Even though I was mostly listening to Northern Soul when I was at art college in the early 80s, there's something about this ancient Everything But The Girl video that perfectly captures the feel of those days. It's not just the hair and the clothes or their pale, skinny frames that look like they could do with a good meal, but together with the maudlin wetness of the music it's like a Proustian sensory experience of what it was like to be a student back then. The dishwater-gray Northern sky and industrial bridge give it a real "Thatcher's Britain" vibe too.

Of course Ben and Tracey were students themselves at the time and when they joined together to form EBTG they created the uber student couple. Art college was probably a little weirder than regular university (at least I hope it was) but I'm sure the same rules still applied: everyone listened to The Smiths and New Order, lived on beans on toast, got their hair cut by the local barber (mine was called Eric The Razor), bought their clothes second-hand from charity shops or vintage 50s emporiums like Flip, and Ben and Tracey's gentle acoustic pop was what you heard drifting from student rooms late at night — the soundtrack to many a miserable night alone with a book or, if you were lucky, inexperienced fumblings with the bra of some cute indie girl. We were all so much younger then.

8 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger davyh said...

Nearly posted this myself a while back - mostly because a) I dug the single out the loft b) this was filmed on Barnes Bridge, which is
my local Thames crossing place. True.

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it that you bought Pillows and Prayers as well ? 99p for a full album, turned out to be an amazing bargain. I still listen to it now, and love this EBTG song.
Great blog by the way - I call in every day. Thanks.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

That's Barnes Bridge?? I'm ashamed I didn't recognize it, my Gran lived in Barnes and I used to know that bridge very well. I assumed it was in Hull.

Sadly I sold my copy of the "Night and Day" 7" during a bout with poverty in the 90s.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger rick mcginnis said...

Mike Leigh's Career Girls. That pretty much sums it up for me.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Pillows and Prayers! Haven't played it for years, but an incredible, diverse compilation and one of my all-time favourites. Great album. Thomas Leer, Joe Crow, The Passage and of course the wonderful Marine Girls/EBTG/Ben Watt/Tracey Thorn. Great blog by the way.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i adore adore adore ebtg! i just posted about them too :) xo c

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Sarah Slade said...

In Norn Iron we listened to the Smiths in secret (Morrissey was bottled off the stage at UUC in 1984), plus lots and lots of Van, REM, Prince, assorted two-bit Irish bands and Undertones spinoffs, while huddled close to the fire, out of the biting wind.

That's when we weren't raving it up at the various 'discos' and sessions that happened every night. We made our own entertainment in those days...

Oh, and everybody from Derry/Londonderry lived ten doors away from Feargal Sharkey.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger mutikonka said...

EBTG ... caricature bedsit band, remind me of dreary Sunday afternoons at university with unfinished assignments to do and nothing to eat in the house. Sometimes the past wasn't all sunny and bright, it was shit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home