/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, January 22

My Dad's 8-Tracks


A lot of you probably recognize the blond bird in the middle of this photo as Britt Ekland: actress, sex symbol, Bond girl and former main squeeze of Peter Sellers and Rod Stewart. Some of you might know that the guy on the left is actor/director Lionel Jeffries, best known for his roles in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Railway Children. But who's the bloke on the right grinning like he's the happiest person in the world at that moment? That's my old man, that is.

The picture was taken in 1972 on the set of a movie called "Baxter!" that Jeffries was directing and my old man had a bit part in it. In the 60s and early 70s Dad was a London taxi driver with dreams of being an actor and one day he picked up Jeffries in his cab, the two got chatting and my old man told him he was an aspiring actor so Jeffries offered him a part in his new film — playing a taxi driver. If you've never heard of "Baxter!" that's because it was a flop and sank without trace when it came out, it's never even been out on video far as I know. I've only ever seen it once and if you blink you'll miss my Dad and his one line of dialogue (he picks up Britt in his cab and says something like "Cheers, love" when she tells him to keep the change.) It wasn't much but still, he was in a movie with Britt Ekland — not bad for a cab driver from Shepherd's Bush. Unlike me he preferred blonds which partly explains his huge grin in the photo.

After this brush with fame Dad bought himself an old Rover P4 which he called Baxter. It was a beautiful car, tan exterior with cream leather seats and an 8-track player which was the latest in high-fidelity mod cons back then. Of all the albums my Dad had on 8-track the one that most reminds me of that car is Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key of Life", especially the track "Joy Inside My Tears." It was never my favourite on the album, it followed the ridiculously catchy "Isn't She Lovely" and always seemed such a downer after that — it sounds like it was recorded at the wrong speed and sort of plods along like it's all woozy on cough medicine. But there's something hypnotic about it and when I hear it now it's that foggy and muggy warmth which reminds me of sitting in that car on a cold day with the windows misted up, having a day out with my Dad which usually involved a lunch of egg and chips with a banana milkshake and going to the pictures.

Download: Joy Inside My Tears - Stevie Wonder (mp3)

The acting thing didn't work out for my Dad, after the movie he had parts in television commercials for The Sun newspaper and Slimcea bread but that was all far as I remember. He did far better behind the scenes though and became a Stage Manager at the National Theatre in London where he had a very successful career (his first boss was Lawrence Olivier and he counted many famous actors and writers among his friends. He even got to meet the Queen, not too shabby) until he retired.

7 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear you and me were separated at birth somewhere along the line.

I first found your blogging while looking for Respond Records stuff and have followed them ever since. What's kept me interested is the amount of songs, experiences that I identify with. Hanway Street for instance.


Well here's another one: my dad in the 70's while trying to make a living as a stage magician (!)drove a cab and did acting and extra work in movies - loads of crap, but he was a waiter in Stand Up Virgin Soldiers, a stormtrooper in Star Wars and a submarine crew member in The Spy Who Loved Me. Of course you can imagine what 8 year old me thought was most exciting.

(However my dad still hasn't sat through one of the films he appeared in. Too long for him mostly, he falls asleep!)

He stopped that when his magic work started to take off in the early 80s. And then he made a switch to stage hypnosis, which was handy for me because he has performed at every Reading Festival since about 1990 so I get free passes. Festivals are so much nicer backstage, without a tent!

And, incidentally, my wife's best friend is married to a guy who works as a stage manager. And guess where he started out?

Yup.

:)

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger davyh said...

That's a great story indeed and I can't believe you've waited this long to tell us it...! Fabulous.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger stevedomino said...

dammit, Lee - you're a great storyteller - thanks as always!

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Mick said...

Agree with all the above. Brilliant post.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger whiteray said...

Great tale, nicely done!

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger ally. said...

it's very rare such an ace tale - top hole all round.
and how come every dad circa whenever that picture was had that beard that hair and that coat. mine still wears his old tattered sheepskin and no doubt dreams of britt ekland as every red blooded soul should
x

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wicker Man!! :D

Thanks for the effort you put into your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home