/*Blog Header*/

Thursday, December 20

Turkey and Telly

I'm off to spend Christmas week with the in-laws in rural North Carolina which is a long way from England in more ways than one so I thought I'd recreate the English Christmas Day experience here, at least the television part of it.

First off is the Christmas edition of Top of The Pops, essential viewing for us youngsters while the grown-ups were either in kitchen roasting a turkey or down the pub in their new jumpers getting lightly sozzled. This one's from 1973: Slade, Donny Osmond, and Tony Blackburn in the most horrendous tank top. Poptastic!



Then it was time for the Queen's speech. Put down that fork, stop eating and stand to attention everyone.



After everyone had got stuffed to the tits with pudding and pies, Uncle Dave had drunk a whole case of Double Diamond, Gran was on her third Sherry and Dad was lighting up a Henri Winterman's cigar, it was time for the whole family (and the whole nation) to crash out in front of the telly and watch the Morecambe and Wise Christmas show.



And don't forget the Quality Street...



On the radio it wouldn't be Christmas without the obligatory seasonal pop records as stars big and small tried for the much-coveted Christmas #1 spot in the charts. I always thought this Elton John one was a cracker (pardon the pun), though it only got to #24 in 1973.

Download: Step Into Christmas - Elton John (mp3)

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you and yours have a good one. See you in a week.

5 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some strange memory of Tina Charles on the Christmas TOTP and my mum and dad arguing because my dad fancied her.

Everyone was normally asleep by about 4.30, leaving me free to have a game with my Star Wars figures. Except for the year my dad found some old geezer lost, wandering the streets because he couldn't remember where he lived. That was a cheerful year; we managed to find out where he lived and got hold of his daughter who had been expecting him for christmas dinner and had the police out searching.

Merry Christmas!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger davyh said...

You'll be heartened to know we've got the Cheesy Footballs in already and I'll be picking up the double issue Radio Times later.

Best wishes from Blighty and have a great Christmas Lee.

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger So It Goes said...

Merry Christmas, Lee: we don't speak much, but you were the inspiration for my blogs...watching you showed me how it should be done, and since I started I've had the time of my life, and made some really good friends. Thank you, mate.
P.S. Coincidentally, I put up the Elton John and its B-side as well!!! how's about that for great minds etc etc.

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

Merry Christmas old boy.

Here's to many more meanderings in 2008.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very accurae description. We always had trifle as well, though. I just listened to an old Morecambe and Wise show on BBC Radio 7. Brought back a lot of memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home