/*Blog Header*/

Thursday, August 30

Regrets, I've had a few


When you were a kid did you ever think about how old you'd be in the year 2000? It seemed so far away and unreal (science fiction was set in the year 2000) but all the times I thought about it I never wondered about what I'd actually be doing at that age. Even when I grew up, in job interviews I couldn't answer the question "Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?" because I've never had A Plan or been one of those people who think "I want to be doing this by the time I'm 35" or "I want to have that by the time I'm 40." I've met a few go-getters who actually think about their lives like that (mostly in America) but they're not the sort of people I'd want to have a beer with.

Last year I became a father for the first time and the year before that my own father died so it's been a life-changing couple of years. The only piece of fatherly wisdom my Old Man ever passed on to me was that if you keep doing good work and don't piss off too many people along the way then positive things will happen and life will work itself out. He said that when I was going through a rough patch and it meant a lot to me at the time, especially as he wasn't the sort of father who usually passed on sage life lessons (are any fathers like that?) So that's pretty much what I've done, and with no plan and no goals things have worked out very well indeed. The Old Man was right, I just wish he could have met his beautiful granddaughter.

The reason for this indulgent navel-gazing is that today is my 45th birthday. I gave up being bothered by birthdays after the trauma of turning 30 (that was painful) but 45 does feel like a big one, like I really, actually am middle-aged now. I'm not going to suddenly turn into a misanthropic old git complaining about the bloody kids today and their stupid music, how crap movies are now and how the the whole of Western culture is going down the toilet — because frankly I've always been like that, my nickname at college was Alf Garnett. But I don't want to be 18 or 25 again, I'd have to care about things like iPods and video games and text-messaging and think Green Day were really good or something too. No thanks.

Just to prove I'm still alive and interested in new things, not always looking over my shoulder at the past, here's a record from a current band I saw live recently. The Clientele don't pop up very often on mp3 blogs for some reason but I think they're wonderful.

Download: Isn't Life Strange - The Clientele (mp3)
Buy: "God Save The Clientele" (album)

12 Comments:

At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

I too lost my Dad before I became a father - it did make me re-examine some of the parenting I recieved and commit to doing things differently for my two- not least trying to share their music...

I'm 50 next year, now that is a big one and as I reflect that we are as far away today from the release of the Ziggy Stardust album in 1972 as 1972 was from the Bombing of Guernica in the Spanish Civil War, or the Coronation of King George VI... It all seems so recent and somehow current...

Ah well midlife crises can always be averted by buying a bit more collectable vinyl!

(Nice pic by the way - Martha & The Vandellas single of Jimmy Mack / Third Finger, Left Hand if I'm not mistaken!)

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

Well spotted. Did you have to look that up or are you a real Motown anorak?

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger dickvandyke said...

I'm the same in all respects. A dad that died at 53 - which I considered pretty old at the time -a daughter who never knew him and a life that is plan-free. (Perhaps due to my overiding lack of ambition). Who said, "Got enough money for 1 more beer, I'll carry on regardless".

I often think that we are as far from "Rock Around The Clock", as that was from Queen Victoria.

I work at an Academy where all the students were born in 1991 or 1992. Alpha male know-alls, 6 foot tall with hideous facial hair and a fuckin' Ipod constantly blaring out thrash metal. They're just big babies really, and remind me of Frankie Abbott from 'Please Sir'. (Anyone remember him? The one with the leather jacket who liked to be one of the lads, yet used to say, "Can we have chips for tea mummy?")

Lovely song by the way ........ old boy!

and Happy Birthday

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Many happy returns, Mr Lee!

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger davyh said...

Belated Happy Birthday old bean.

 
At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes indeed..many happy returns...thanks for the great blog..the only regular one i go for...nice tune too...(even peters & lee was bearable..a good option for fancy dress parties with the missus...a wig and some shades and you're there)..keep it up..

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger JohnatGist said...

happy birthday londonlee! "Keep on bloggin'". (I can see the R. Crumb festooned t-shirts as I write.)

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Mary Parsons said...

Ah, Lee ... happy birthday. 45's not that old though. I really enjoy visiting the chip shop ... I turned Emily on to it as well.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Mick said...

A very belated happy birthday from me, too. And Mary's right, 45 is not old...50 is the new 40, you know. Lovely song too, more than makes up for Peters and Lee

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Tim said...

Yup I managed to miss your birthday too - many happy belated returns from London SE10...

(Remember Ian Dury - In 78 everybody who was born in 45 will be 33 - well it worked at the time)

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger So It Goes said...

Hi Lee, happy birthday, I managed to miss it! Sorry.
My dad died three years ago on September 6, so I know how you feel.

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Lee!

Looks as though I'm like everyone else and missed the actual day - and I thought I was a regular visitor to your site!

I bought the John Londei shops book, thanks for the tip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home