/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, July 3

What's for tea?


This might get a bit confusing for non-Brits so pay attention. If you're English and a bit common (like wot I am) you might refer to your evening meal as "tea" instead of dinner, and you might call your midday meal "dinner" instead of lunch (which is why the women who serve lunches in our schools are called Dinner Ladies). "Supper" used to mean a light meal eaten late at night and is only used now by the upper classes and middle class people with pretensions, unless they're Scottish in which case they could be referring to a fish supper from the chip shop which they eat at dinnertime. All clear?

I don't think I ever had toast and marmalade for tea, when I was a kid it was usually Fish Fingers or Spam Fritters with chips which we had to cook ourselves because mum was at work. We had it tough you know.

Download: Toast and Marmalade For Tea - Tin Tin (mp3)

If you think this sounds like early Bee Gees that's because it was produced by Maurice Gibb in 1971. Read more about Tin Tin here.

11 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cod balls, Lee old boy. With chips and peas. Vanilla (cold custard) slice for pud. (Or is that 'afters', or sweet, or dessert etc)

DVD

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger whiteray said...

This is one of my favorite singles from the winter I first began to listen to Top 40. It brings back some nice memories. Thanks!

Nice blog! I stop by often and always enjoy it.

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger ally. said...

oh god the terrifying dinner tea, tea dinner nightmare again. i spent an entire night with some americans a while back trapped in this unexplainable hell.
smashing tune though.
x

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Canada. I read the Spam Fritters recipe. It's disgusting! Whenever I hear the product mentioned, I think of Monty Python's skit and song about it. It is a food best served to cats.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger davyh said...

DVD - it's 'afters', definitely.

And what DID you have for your tea tonight Lee??

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger londonlee said...

My Dad always called it "sweet" when we were in a restaurant which was a little pretentious of him.

Tonight I'm out on the piss so it'll be a slice of pizza beforehand.

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger So It Goes said...

If you ever read Viz, 'fish supper' had a somewhat different connotation, I believe.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger So It Goes said...

Cute and wistful track, by the way. I also remember a track that was more of a novelty record, and went something like 'I like egg and bacon for breakfast, and a little spotted dicky for tea'. (If you're not British, spotted dick is a kind of pudding with currants.) Stir any memories?

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Interface said...

Steve Kipner had an interesting history here in Oz. As lead singer of Steve and the Board they had a hit single with "Giggle-eyed goo". The B side is arguably the worst song title ever recorded in Oz - "I call my woman Hinges cos she's something to adore".

I hope I don't have to explain that.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha, love it!!! I remember being a little girl and visiting my Dad's friends in London. Their grown up son was a motorbike courier and one morning had to take a parcel up to Sheffield. His mum said, 'don't worry, he'll be back for dinner!' I said to my Dad, 'Wow, he must drive fast!', to which my Dad replied, 'They mean the posh dinner at tea time not the dinner we have at lunch!' Confusing to say the least!!!

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spam Fritters - yeah food of the Gods.

You can still get them in the chippies up north here - the better class ones anyway !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home