/*Blog Header*/

Monday, July 16

The Jingle Jangle Morning


"Boy, it began to rain like a bastard. In buckets, I swear to God. All the parents and mothers and everybody went over and stood right under the roof of the carousel, so they wouldn't get soaked to the skin or anything, but I stuck around on the bench for quite a while. I got pretty soaking wet, especially my neck and my pants. My hunting hat really gave me quite a lot of protection, in a way, but I got soaked anyway. I didn't care though. I felt so damn happy all of a sudden, the way old Phoebe kept going round and round. I was damn near bawling, I felt so damn happy, if you want to know the truth. I don't know why. It was just that she looked so damn nice, the way she kept going round and round, in her blue coat and all. God, I wish you could've been there."
J. D. Salinger
The Catcher In The Rye (1951)

I don't remember how old I was when I first read "The Catcher In The Rye" (I still have my old Penguin Modern Classics copy which cost 30p) but I was the type who identified with Holden Caulfield and still am in a lot of ways. Holden was a clever, sarcastic kid who wasn't very good at games and was prematurely cynical about the world but had a sentimental streak a mile wide. He was a teen rebel but not in any wild, Jack Kerouac, James Dean, living-on-the-edge, rock and roll sort of way. He loved childish innocence and just wanted adults to be honest and nice which makes him more of an indie-pop sort of rebel, the patron saint of quiet boys who start fanzines in their bedrooms, make mixtapes for pretty girls, or form cute indie bands. Orange Juice made his influence apparent when they put out records on a label called "Holden Caulfield Universal" but if they were to make a movie of the novel I'd nominate The Pale Fountains to supply the soundtrack. Edwyn Collins had Holden's sardonic humour but Fountains' lead singer Michael Head captured his wistful yearning and fragile sensibility.

Download: Just A Girl - The Pale Fountains (mp3)

In my movie version of "Catcher In The Rye" I can imagine The Fountains' lovely second single "Thank You" bursting out like fireworks over the climactic scene with Holden's little sister spinning around on the carousel while he breaks down in tears at the transcendent beauty of it all. With it's soaring crescendos of strings there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

Download: Thank You - The Pale Fountains (mp3)

By the time their debut album "Pacific Street" finally emerged in 1984 they had competition from new bands like the even more bookish and precious Prefab Sprout (who wrote songs based on Graham Greene novels). Flop though it was, the album did produce their best ever moment in the majestic single "(Don't Let Your Love) Start A War" (which was called "You'll Start A War" on the album). This is the extended 12" version which is even more epic and not available on CD anywhere far as I know.

Download: (Don't Let Your Love) Start A War (12" version) - The Pale Fountains (mp3)

Bonus feature: I saw The Fountains live supporting Orange Juice (God, I wish you could've been there) when their second album "From Across the Kitchen Table" came out. As you can see from this video for the single "Jean's Not Happening" by then the group were into leather jackets, ripped jeans, and motorbikes, but even with loud guitars they still sounded like nice boys.

8 Comments:

At 4:04 AM, Blogger ally. said...

that's the loveliest thing i've read in ages - thankyou.
thankyou is on my big pile of things to put on dusty7s but for the other sides brilliant 'there's always something on mind'. since the day i got that single a million years ago i've been incapable of not saying somethink...
and hopefully there's a bit of holden in all of us
x

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Todd said...

While I was trying to find the cover for the 12" single on the web, I found this...

http://dorfdiscobraunsfeld.blogspot.com/2006_06_01_archive.html

The Second Example will be of interest to others like me, who had never heard of "Pale Fountains" before this post but download and listen to everything on this blog!!

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

thankyou lee, have always loved the pale fountains. do you like the stuff they do now as shack?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Campfires and Battlefields said...

Thanks for these. I'd never heard of the Pale Fountains before. Lovely stuff.

 
At 2:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these beautiful tracks. A friend has been raving about Michael Head for years; I really should have listened.
And thank you for your elegant distillation and defense of the indie ethos, which has been mercilessly derided in recent years as juvenile, marked by a false naivete, etc. At its finest, it's a noble and pure-hearted stance.

Gary

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tracks Lee...I recently stumbled upon 'Pacific Street' and rediscovered my favourite Pale Fountains track..."Unless"...it forever reminds me of the morning after the night before after a particularly boozy Maidstone Art Coll shindig.

Gaz

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

You went to Maidstone Art College? I did too.

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger friarminor said...

Palies, too!

Glad there's more than a bunch traipsing the Pacific Street ...

Best.
alain

 

Post a Comment

<< Home