/*Blog Header*/

Monday, July 9

Goodtime George


One of the Greatest Living Englishmen is sadly living no more: George Melly died last week. Jazz singer, author, critic, art expert and, above all, larger than life character of the sort they just don't make any more. I only saw him live the once at one of his traditional Ronnie Scott's Xmas shows and he was wonderful.

"Old Codger" is a bawdy number he recorded with The Stranglers that came on a free EP included with their 1978 "Black and White" album. It may seem an odd pairing but George was a punk long before there was such a thing as "punk" — and he was a smutty old bugger too.

Download: Old Codger - George Melly & The Stranglers (mp3)
Read: "Owning Up" (book)
Read (if you can find a copy): "Revolt Into Style" (book)

6 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger davyh said...

Great story in the paper this weekend about GM's last days.

His wife put a sign for visitors on his bedroom door saying 'Please don't ask George how he is - he will say "I am F**cking dying, what do you think?" (!)

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger So It Goes said...

Thanks for this Lee, I haven't heard this for almost 30 years when a mate of mine at school with really bad acne got Black And White with this in white vinyl. George Melly was a sharp film critic too, I remember. Truly a great loss.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Interface said...

Sad to hear he has gone. I have several of his albums on vinyl and I fondly remember his column in Punch.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

Truly one of a kind. His voice was an aquired taste but his books are very funny, especially his 3 autobiographys. Thanks for the Old Codger- I'd never heard it before!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Big Al Davies said...

I had this EP, with Walk on By on tother side. My mum was a George Melly fan, I read her books and I became a lifelong fan too, I met him a couple of times and he was a great writer and her performances were once legendary. Another interesting legend bites the dust, I miss him along with Ian Dury and Vivian Stanshall and Phil Collins.

Oh, he's not dead?

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Big Al Davies said...

His performances were legendary too, but my mum did do some great high kicks in the kitchen in the 70's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home