/*Blog Header*/

Wednesday, March 28

Sing, Lofty


I wonder who it is who comes up with the idea for records like this? I imagine some cynical record exec at home one night, watching the sitcom "It Ain't 'Alf Hot, Mum" and a light bulb going off over his head and pound signs flashing in his eyes when he heard actor Don Estelle sing. If Telly Savalas and David Soul could make records – and have number one hits with them – then why not this little bloke? It's a very popular show and at least he can actually sing. Even better, what If we roped in this other actor bloke Windsor Davies to do his Sergeant Major bit on the record too? Ka-ching!

Mr. Record Exec wasn't wrong either, this went to number one in 1975 and sold a million copies. Back then the charts were full of this sort of silliness, not just the aforementioned TV cops and sitcom stars, but comedians, disc jockeys, football teams and school choirs were having hits. A lot of these novelty records then inspired parody versions which also became hits, it was a like a never-ending cycle of idiocy. If I was being churlish I'd say it was records like this that made punk happen, but I can't find it in my heart to hate it, I even find it rather charming and part of me thinks it's great that a fat little bloke in a pith helmet could top the charts. I admit that I'm listening to it through the warm fog of nostalgia but it is a very pretty song (originally done by The Ink Spots in 1940) and Estelle does have a sweet, choir-boy voice. Even Windsor Davies' silly monologues make me smile, his ridiculous, Bully Beef military voice is like a sound from another era. Do any soldiers talk like that anymore?

Download: Whispering Grass - Windsor Davies & Don Estelle (mp3)
Buy: "Whispering Grass" (album)

1 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger stevedomino said...

meet the gang cos the boys are here, the boys to entertain you....

cheers for this - weird synchronicity between our two blogs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home