/*Blog Header*/

Monday, March 19

Hallelujah, Rosie Lea


Have you noticed that when a character in an American movie or TV show is having an emotionally difficult time someone gives them a hug, while in English ones they put the kettle on? That's because, for us, a nice cuppa is the beverage equivalent of a hug, it wraps itself around our English hearts like a warm and wet comfort blanket. More than that, it's a drink for good times too – in fact, there isn't a situation in the world that isn't improved by someone putting the kettle on.


The other great thing about tea is it's egalitarian qualities, it's a drink for all people, from the Queen...


...down to the East End gangster.


It's the glue that holds the nation together.

Much as I like coffee – and I mean coffee, not a skinny mocha latte or some other ridiculous thing – you'd have a hard time giving tea some poncey designer name and charging over three quid for a cup. Sure, there are your fancy teas with exotic flavours but there's something about it which resists being turned into a hip and sexy lifestyle choice. So, in the immortal words of Ray Davies: "For Christ sake have a cuppa tea" and don't forget the chocolate biscuits.

Download: Have A Cuppa Tea - The Kinks (mp3)
Buy: "Muswell Hillbillies" (album)

4 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, would love to advertise on your site if possible. Get in touch
pv@justgreattickets.com

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo of our 'Enry, and a photo of the Beatles I don't think I've seen before - that doesn't happen often. I've been meaning to write and say how much I enjoy your writings since the blog started - keep them coming please. Right, time to put the kettle on I think. Tara.

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this song but only have it on vinyl. Thanks - it's made my day.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Little Johnny Jewel said...

Just came across your blog today, and it sucked up a good hour or two, going through the archives. Love it.
I am an expat Londoner as well, and I'm guessing we're about the same age (I'm 43) so this was all ringing a bell with me.
Looking forward to more installments.
Thanks mate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home