/*Blog Header*/

Monday, March 5

Five miles out of London on the Western Avenue


When I was at secondary school we did our sports at some playing fields on the western outskirts of London called Warren Farm. Every week the school buses would drive us out of town down the Western Avenue (aka the A40) and go past the Art Deco magnificence of the Hoover factory in Perivale. Teenage boys aren't exactly reknowned for their alertness to architectural beauty but the sight of it was such a marvel it made me forget just for a moment that I was on my way to being terrorized by sadistic PE teachers. The snow white concrete and grand, sweeping facade made it stand out like a jewel in a traffic-choked, industrialized area that had seen better days.


It was built in 1932 and designed by the architects Wallis, Gilbert & Partners. That such artistry went into the design of a factory is an example of the optimism of the modernist era, with the then-new Western Avenue a vibrant symbol of an expanding city and an increasingly motorized society. Buildings like this were monuments to faith in a new machine age which would lift mankind from the drudgery of the past. That era has long gone of course, today the Hoover building is home to a Tesco supermarket which tells you plenty about how western nations have gone from producing things to consuming them. But it could have suffered a worse fate, it might have been demolished like the nearby and equally-beautiful Firestone factory was in 1980.


I used to think Elvis Costello's song "Hoover Factory" was really about something else - you know, the usual rock song things: women, drugs, masturbation etc. – but it actually is about the Hoover building. Costello grew up in west London (Kensington and then Twickenham) so may have childhood memories of his own related to the building. It's a very pretty, short, impressionistic song with lots of layers and vocal overdubbing that belies the fact that Elvis recorded the whole thing on his own in a cheap studio in Shepherd's Bush. Songs about modern architecture are the sort if thing you'd expect from Brian Eno and Elvis seems to think it's all a bit inconsequential in the grand scheme of things when he sings "it's not a matter of life or death". Maybe it isn't, but I wouldn't want to live in a world without beautiful buildings like the Hoover factory.

Download: Hoover Factory - Elvis Costello (mp3)
Buy: "Art Deco London" (book)
Buy: "Leadville: A Biography of the A40" (book)

This was the b-side of his 1980 single "Clubland" and is now available as an extra on the reissue of "Get Happy" (which is a little odd as "Clubland" was off his "Trust" album.) But if you want to be really smart, hunt down a copy of "Ten Bloody Marys & Ten How's Your Fathers" instead.

10 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger AndyMac said...

Always loved the Hoover building, something to look at while stuck in traffic on my way to see QPR. Thanks for the track as well.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

I assume that was back when QPR were worth sitting in a traffic jam for.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger AndyMac said...

I'm just a glutton for punishment!

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger ally. said...

zooming past here almost makes leaving london worthwhile - i don't get west too often but this makes me wish i did.
it's also featured on the cover of the medium cool sampler lp 'edge of the road'.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger murph said...

This song is also available on the b-side comp "Taking Liberties". Note as an American I bow to British grammar here and put the period after the quotation marks.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger londonlee said...

As an Englishman working at an American magazine I can swing both ways on that issue.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Now the austere but handsome Wilson and Kyle factory building in Brentford High Street is also under threat. We lost the IAM building (magnificent deco!) in chiswick High Road to cheesy posh flats in the 90s. BUt the ugly 60s tower, the old Parsons Building at Kew Bridge, where Claud Cockerell who invented the Hovercraft had his business, has been very handsomely recyled/transformed into a decent deco pastiche for posh flats.
Brentford is being eaten by ugly architecture again, like it was in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I live opposite the 6 tower blocks and I have grown fond of their brutal power over 23 years of watching the sun set behind them. The thing to watch out for now is the empty site at Kew Bridge: having conquered one ugly monolith proposed by St George Developers, we are now being consulted about another development by a different architect. Actual consultation, where they SEEM to listen and take on board what we who live opposite want to see out of our windows. Pay attention, be prerpared to object, and watch this space.,
Seems we are not allowed to have or keep handsome buildings in Brentford, in general. You should see the banal abomination that is being proposed for the Alfa Laval site on A4!
Finally, I want the Lucosade sign back!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Gary said...

I'm glad Tesco's found a way to utilize that building. My Dad used to work in West London and I remember it vividly.

I used to have the Elvis Costello tune, but can't seem to find it. If you still have the MP3 around, I'd really appreciate it if you could email it to me. My contact info is on my profile.

Cheers.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like so many of you I too often passed this glorious building as I travelled along the Western Avenue.One of my last voyages saw me seize the engine of my 2CV when I neglected my usual weekly ritual of checking the oil,Oops-air cooled motors really need it you know.Now living in the States where older buildings(25 years or so) are routinely demolished to make way for uninspired and far from stylish "architecture". Just a note regarding another comment,I think Lucozade has a zed.Cheers.

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found your blog whilst searching for a pic of the Hoover Factory for my desktop background. Wow... Be-Bop Deluxe, Roxy Music, the lovely EC tune, Tracey Thorn and tea... great stuff! From an anglophile in the midwest USA, my hat's off to you! I'm trying to start a music blog soon, hope it will be a tenth as good as yours...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home