/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, February 6

My Mother's records


Peter Skellern's 1972 single "You're A Lady" was given to my mother as a present from a bloke she was having an affair with at the time. Well, technically he was the one having the affair as he was married with kids while my mother was separated and free to see who the hell she wanted. All very "Play For Today" and "Bouquet of Barbed Wire" I know.

This is a very romantic record to woo a woman with but it's a particularly English sort of romantic. The opening melancholy notes played by a colliery brass band places it under the coal black sky of some cold and drizzly Northern town rather than, say, Paris or Rome. The man in the song is walking a woman home down a dark, empty street after a dance, trying to summon up the courage to express his feelings for her, but the language of love doesn't come easily to his Lancashire tongue and all he can blurt out is the plain "you're a lady, I'm a man." You can picture him nervously looking down at his shoes, couching his feelings in blandly polite phrases – "Here I sit and hope that you'll love me" and "I'm not asking you to marry me, Just a little love to show" – as if he's asking to borrow a cup of sugar from her, if she doesn't mind of course. Like the affair between Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard in "Brief Encounter" this is the awkward, hesitant romance of dingy tea rooms between people who keep their passion buttoned up under conversations about library books and overdue trains.

It's also a incredibly beautiful-sounding record, intimate and warm but as big and grand as an old Victorian dancehall. It's probably an English thing, but I find it hard to hear a colliery brass band without feeling a wistful glow (like a Hovis commercial) and the backing choral voices have the heavenly tone of a Salvation Army choir saving souls in the shadow of dark satanic mills. I don't know what effect this had on my mother but it makes me swoon every time.

Download: You're A Lady - Peter Skellern
Buy: "The Very Best of Peter Skellern" (album)

7 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"You're a Lady" takes me back to the homeland immediately. A beautiful song that hits me right in the heart every time. Great stuff!

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this just a coincidence? After reading today's post, my next stop was Aurgasm (aurgasm.us). Clicking on the first track (Give me Cyborg Love disc 1) blew my mind. Try it, if you haven't already.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger londonlee said...

It's a small world but I wouldn't want to paint it.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger whiteray said...

Never heard this before -- I guess it hit No. 50 over here in the States in '72, but I don't recall it at all. I like the dance-hall feel to it; it puts me in mind, for that reason, of Hurrican Smith's "Oh Babe What Would You Say" and "Don't Let It Die," which are the only two things I've ever heard from him!

 
At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! By 'eck, burrit teks me back to walkin' i't'Dales near Appletreewick. Ah can recall singin' this to mesen on account of our lass wa' dahn sarth at t'university and ah wa' missing her like 'ell. Somehow listening to it here in Mandurah makes me go all nostalgic for Tetleys and Sheffield Wednesday!

Thanks, mate.

John_R in Western Australia

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always thought of this record and Clifford T Ward's Home Thoughts From Abroad to just have that 1/2 inch of sincerity that stops them from becoming so much slush. But it is that 1/2 that we breathe.

 
At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not being a buff (and being only 29 now) I just assumed Skellern was maybe in his 40s by the time he was known.

His music has such strong Music Hall influences that I naturally assumed he's spent a generation distilling it in his musical brain. In actuality he was 4 years younger than I am now.

And take a listen to his later works, such as String Of Pearls LP. The old influences were so strong that he finally went full circle and made some great covers of the old stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home