/*Blog Header*/

Tuesday, December 12

What's all this then?


“The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there.”
L.P. Hartley
The Go-Between (1953)

There used to be this tiny little old sweet shop near where I lived in London that was like some relic from a previous era. It was a dark and dingy place that rarely had any customers, run by an old lady who lived in the back of the shop. Behind the counter on it's old wooden shelves stood a few big plastic jars of Cough Candy, Bonbons, Kola Kubes, Acid Drops and Lemon Sherbets which were sold loosely in plain paper bags, a quarter pound at a time. When I was a kid all the sweet shops in England sold candy like that but the reason I always remember this shop is it carried on doing it this way well into the 1980s when that old, slow, and terribly English way of doing things was being swept away by the radical new broom that was Maggie Thatcher. As the area around it gradually became more gentrified and swanky with the other shops replaced by tapas bars and estate agents there it stood, looking increasingly lonely and forlorn with its peeling paint and dirty windows, a shabby museum of an England that was fading into history. Those few jars of sweets seemed to be the only stock the shop had left as if the old lady was hanging on until the last Cough Candy was sold. It eventually died sometime in the late 80s and I think there's a hair salon on the spot today. I know it would make this story better if it had been replaced by a McDonald's or Starbucks but life isn't always as neatly symbolic as that.

So what does all this have to do with the price of fish? Well, this blog is sort of like that sweet shop: a time capsule of the past, a melancholy little place stocked with tatty old crap and a musty air of wistful nostalgia for a vanished time and place. This will be a lot more personal and idiosyncratic than The Number One Songs In Heaven (it's a local shop for local people) and some of you might be a bit shocked how rubbish my taste in music was and still is at times.

I assume most of you know the title of this blog comes from Jilted John's eponymous 1978 single. Its classic line "I was so upset I cried all the way to the chip shop" is one of the quintessentially English pop lyrics, a mopey melodrama sung in a runny-nosed voice as wet as a Bank Holiday in Margate. It's silly and pathetic but also quite poignant, turning mundane miserablism into something romantically tragic as much as weeping over a dying old sweet shop does. A friend of mine thinks that one line was the inspiration for Morrissey's entire oeuvre.

Download: Jilted John - Jilted John (mp3)
From: True Love Confessions (album)

9 Comments:

At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We hope you like our new direction"

Looking forward to the new venture, Lee!

 
At 1:59 AM, Blogger Sarah Slade said...

Wow, this is going to be interesting.

Even sweetshops of the past have been commodified by the marketeers. I'll have to send you a pic of Hope and Greenwood, a "nostalgic" sweet shop that does great business in East Dulwich.

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger stevedomino said...

hurrah - if your going to start a blog, you might as well do it with one of the best songs ever - cheers!

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the songs in heaven and now I'm ready to queue up in the chip shop for more!

Great start - you're no moron!

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recall a shop like you describe in Fulham. My wife & I used to pop in there after buying some used records nearby.
Good luck with the blog.

Phil

 
At 4:50 PM, Blogger Darcy said...

Do I detect a little homesickness?

I know you must have also visited the shop between Fulham Broadway tube station and Stamford Bridge North/West Stand entrance. Was it a newsagents? Anyway it always had plenty of jars
sweets.

I know I'm going to like this blog. As I will be 50 next year nostalgia is my trip nowadays. Depending on which way you look at it I feel that lil ole England is going rotten from the inside which is now awash with corporate chain naffness, whereas I find you can still quite happily step back in time at various faded seaside resorts, and of course there will always be the Isle of Wight.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Fearless Leader said...

Best of luck, Lee.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Search Query said...

I love thinking back to the good old days. I keep buying retro sweets from www.sweetheaven-online.co.uk

 
At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Acerockolla said...

Well, I only just caught up with the blog (Jan 2010) but I am enjoying it so thought i would go back to the beginning and post comments that nobody ever reads.
So, much of what you have to say hit's a musical nerve, so I should have fun reading through these ld posts. Like you I am an expat, living in Malaysia and music continues to be important, sadly though most of what I listen to now is older stuff, not much excites me any more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home