/*Blog Header*/

Monday, December 18

What a sauce!


It isn't exactly breaking news but I just found out that Heinz, who now own the company which makes HP Sauce, has moved production of the world's greatest condiment to Holland after over 100 years in Birmingham. That's another British icon gone.

This just the sort of thing that makes ageing ex-pats like me get all Blimpish and fogey about the horrible modern world. It probably won't taste any different (Heinz had better not mess with that) but my tongue won't feel quite the same nostalgic and patriotic tang when I bite into a sausage sandwich garnished with it's spicy brown goodness ever again.

Harumph.

(Image above from the wonderful Brown Sauce site.)

3 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the stuff, but my girlfriend swears by Daddies over HP every time and it's as if we're ex-pats too when we try to find a bottle of this particular brown stuff down south! We'll be stocking up (no pun intended) this Christmas on the visit up north

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another sacred part of our culture leaves old blighty I shall still use it on my sausages but I agree something will be missing and I think if we were a responsible nation we should demand it still be made in England

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all changed for me when they stopped printing one side of the label in French.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home