/*Blog Header*/

Thursday, December 28

My Mother's records


My mother had a big collection of 45s that she kept in our living room sideboard, they were in bloody awful condition because for some reason she always threw away the sleeves they came in and just stacked them up like plates. Another thing she always did was write her name on the record label, often actually sticking it on a piece of paper (see above). Apparently this was so they didn't get stolen when she took them to parties, she told me she lost a Sammy Davis Jr. album that way. I never knew she hung out with such shady characters.

There was a definite Spanish/Latin influence in the "adult" easy pop of the 60s and among my mother's 45s were records by Jose Feliciano, The Sandpipers, Sergio Mendes, Antonio Carlos Jobim, and Herb Alpert. Like a bottle of Mateus Rosé, this music brought a flavour of international jet-set sophistication into the lives of the first English generation for whom "abroad" and "Italian Restaurant" weren't just places rich people went. Sadly, nowadays "adult" music means the likes of Sting and Norah Jones, the only place they want to take you is a Starbucks.

Chris Montez's 1966 hit "The More I See You" is a record I've known by heart seemingly my entire life, and is probably the song I most closely associate with my mother (and I'm ever so slightly freaked out to realize that she was only 31 when it came out). It isn't that overtly Latin, but it has the warm, sand-between-your-toes feeling of being in some exotic beach paradise and Montez's light voice has an almost feminine quality which adds to the air of sexy languor. From those opening xylophone notes I picture my mother back then, looking like Dusty Springfield with her blonde hair and heavily made-up eyes, in a brightly-coloured mini-dress and a Cinzano Bianco in her hand.

Download: The More I See You - Chris Montez (mp3)
Buy: "Call Me: The A&M Years" (album)

3 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Blogger Michael said...

God, those Cinzano ads take me back! Absolutely classic.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger JerseyCynic said...

what a great time I've had at your blog today!

I think we grew up in the same house. Did your mother also always seem to have a large roller with a pink plastic bobby pin holding her bangs in place?
LOL! and the mateus bottles!!! do you have any idea how many mateus bottles we decoupaged as kids! I've been rumaging through all of our albums in the basement, stacked as you described. I've started do "wallpaper" the basement with album covers and 45's.

I just finished burning most of Herb Alpert's greatest. Got dad a CD player for xmas and bought him a few tunes. YOU HAVE GOT to check out Thievery Corp remixes of herb-- "Whipped Cream and other delights re-whipped" AWESOME!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger JerseyCynic said...

I'm still lost in Montez. Did you know that herb alpert influenced his singing style in this song?
I never knew that.

check out this post from senhorgasmo

Montez is such a sweetie pie. (I look just like blonde -- yeah right I wish!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home